LESS CSS is a pre-processor for CSS that provides lots of added functionality to plain ol' CSS. For more info visit the LESS website.
LESS extends CSS with dynamic behavior such as variables, mixins, operations and functions. LESS runs on both the client-side (Chrome, Safari, Firefox) and server-side, with Node.js and RhinoThere is also a LESS plugin for Netbeans.
- compiles LESS files into CSS, if the LESS files are newer than the corresponding CSS.
- minifies the CSS files into .min.css if the CSS files are newer than the .min.css files.
- minifies the JS files into .min.js if the JS files are newer than the .min.js files
A LESS.INI file specifies which directories to process for JS and whcich for LESS and CSS.
The LESS directory contains the compile.php, lessc.inc.php, cssmin-v3.0.1.php, Minifier.php and LESS.ini files. See download links inside the compile.php sourcef file.
Compile.php is the one that does all the work.
Here is a link to the complete source of the version that I use.
Link and source updated on 19apr2013:
- It also checks inside LESS files for @import statements and uses that to determine if the main LESS file needs to be recompiled.
- The LESS compiler emits more info in error messages
ps: Comments and/or links to this article are most welcome!